Robotic assistants

• 9 Replies

dan

• Mechanical Turk
    • AI
Robotic assistants
« on: December 02, 2006, 02:04:35 pm »
An interesting article, I wonder if HAL can see which leg I am crossing?

http://education.zdnet.com/index.php?p=680
A computer would deserve to be called intelligent if it could deceive a human into believing that it was human. A.Turing

FuzzieDice

Re: Robotic assistants
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 02:52:15 am »
From the article:

In a phenomenon known by salespeople as the "chameleon effect," the experiment found that subjects responded more favorably if the person they are speaking with subtly mimics the subject's body language. The experiment consisted of two groups. The first had the "digital agents" sit across the table from each student subject and after a four-second delay, mimic the student 's movement exactly. For the other half of the participants, the program used head movements recorded from earlier students. Both test groups were unaware that the mimicry was intentional.

Quite frankly, I find this to be so unintelligent when someone mimics me. I just get away from them as quickly as I can, figuring they are some dumb idiot not worth my time. But then that's just me. If they aren't inteligent enough to act on their own, with their OWN body language, then I don't have time for them.

After all, I'm reading them too - to see how honest they are, or if they are trying to ensnare me in a scam. If they mimic me, that's a red flag that it's a scam. Cya! LOL!

admin

• Administrator
  • Nomad
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 11:20:22 am »
I wondered why my Cossack dancing never got me anywhere.

Bill DeWitt

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 01:01:25 pm »

Quite frankly, I find this to be so unintelligent when someone mimics me.

You may not have seen this technique done well then. First of all, it happens naturally when you like someone, so you probably do it yourself. Secondly, when done by a trained professional, it is as natural as breathing, as subtle as a smile, and works like flowers and candy.

They are not talking about trying to suck up to someone by vulgar posing, but rather tapping into the subconscious by physically harmonizing with you. For testing purposes, these guys probably laid it on a little heavy, but if you watch a trained sales expert, it happens without the client noticing. Because, as I said, everyone does it naturally anyway. It's one of the main ways we show that we like someone, this just identifies it and makes it conscious. :zdg_drunk

It's why dancing works.
 :smitten

Of course if you arm yourself against it then it no longer works, but then dancing no longer works as well either. :cry

FuzzieDice

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 10:18:51 pm »
No I do NOT mimic others. Period. I am well aware of my own bodily movements. And while I admit you don't know me, I really mean I don't like mimicers. I do watch people. Very carefully. And that is how I decide if I want anything to do with them.

You see, I'm well on gaurd against anyone who tries to use psychology to get into someone's mind or try to get someone to do what they want. Social Engineering is lost on me.

Pisses off people no end when they find I'm not as "easy" as they thought I was. Then they try putting on the pressure. When that doesn't work they get verbally abusive or even violent. Proves to me what they really are.

Bill DeWitt

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 10:34:01 pm »
No I do NOT mimic others.
Ok dude, whatever. You are the only one in the world who doesn't do it, fine.

I'm backing away, my hands are in plain sight, I'm looking for the exit...

dan

• Mechanical Turk
    • AI
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 12:52:05 pm »
Yeah, I think I read somewhere even lovers' breathing becomes synchronized, pretty amazing stuff.  It wouldn't surprise me if even their heartbeats coincide, maybe even their thoughts.  I know I'm not aware of it, but it seems when I like someone a bond is set up and they like me back, and vice versa.  I think I also read something about ADHD and the kids body movements didn't coincide with whom they were communicating, the result being a failed relationship, as if the brain problem couldn't know to identify, and then the recipient as well failed in the identity.   I guess I understand it as a more defined fight/flight response mechanism.  Ya gotta know who the bad guys are to survive.  Perhaps the universal entropy of humanity!  What's next we all mind-meld  :grin
A computer would deserve to be called intelligent if it could deceive a human into believing that it was human. A.Turing

Bill DeWitt

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 01:29:40 pm »
Yeah, I think I read somewhere even lovers' breathing becomes synchronized, pretty amazing stuff. 

It's really true, you can see it everywhere if you take the time to observe details. Subconsciously, everyone, with one exception, becomes more likely to mirror the mannerism of people they like, and to reject the mannerisms of people they don't like.

Even being well armed against it (years of sales training) I find myself doing it all the time. One big example didn't even become obvious to me for over a year.

I used to live right on the beach in Florida. Everyone went without their shirts in the yards while mowing or whatever. But then I moved about 5 miles inland to a friendly neighborhood, but where people wore shirts. Within a week I was wearing shirts. I didn't even notice it until I realized that I needed some new tee-shirts for mowing the yard. What a concept! I also noticed that my lovely wife hadn't worn her bathing suit in the yard even once.

If I had been the type of person who didn't like my neighbors, I probably would not have changed. I might even have made some rationalizations about how I was too cool to conform. But it would really be because I didn't like people. And probably they would not be as likely to be open towards me.

It's human behavior, natural, normal and good. Even handy when you want to let someone know you like them.

No one notices what their subconscious is doing, that's why it's called subconscious. We only notice the effect on our behavior. People think they aren't affected, but that just means they can't see the effect.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 01:51:38 pm »
I think it all goes back to the "When in Rome, do as the Romans do", but for obviously different reasons now. People want to fit in to their environment whether they relocate to a new place of have pretty much grown up in one locale.

What we have here is failure to communicate...yeehaw! (Oops...did I say that out loud?) :rolleyes

If one doesn't "adopt" or mimic some behaviors or customs of others or their cultures, they often become labled as odd, different, against the grain and are often ostracized or not included. Then again some people choose to be different because they like being different or are indifferent to being different. Does it make a difference? :idiot2
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Bill DeWitt

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 05:42:05 pm »
Hey Art!

If one doesn't "adopt" or mimic some behaviors or customs of others or their cultures, they often become labled as odd, <snip>
I spent some time this mornign looking at some info on this, and apparently some folks are thinking that it might go deeper than subconscious. It may be hard coded into our brains. Straight from the visual to the kinesthetic.

I would rather do it on purpose than be ruled by my lizard-brain, but this may mean that I really have no choice.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

272 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles