Is it necessary to build an AGI / True ai ?

• 11 Replies

Yasha

• Roomba
Is it necessary to build an AGI / True ai ?
« on: August 08, 2015, 06:58:48 pm »
Sorry i am been struggling whether to ask this question or not for like a week because i know it sounds stupid or even offensive but i am just want to know why, i mean even with all the precaution to prevent it to become hostile, i just can't find why is it worth to build an AGI or True ai.

Someone please enlighten me and sorry for my bad English.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
Re: Is it necessary to build an AGI / True ai ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 08:00:57 pm »
Because of all good things that would become true with AI.

Think of all medicines and cures to be invented for example. Think of all well-being that would become to all people of the world (once that money become obsolete).

There is a lot to gain if we would be smart enough to build it the safe way.

Would you forbid an medical surgery operation on ill human because the doctor could make a mistake? But the stake (by my opinion) in the case of AI is a much higher and we have to approach the problem with more care.

Yasha

• Roomba
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 08:11:36 pm »
Because of all good things that would become true with AI.

Think of all medicines and cures to be invented for example. Think of all well-being that would become to all people of the world (once that money become obsolete).

There is a lot to gain if we would be smart enough to build it the safe way.

Would you forbid an medical surgery operation on ill human because the doctor could make a mistake? But the stake (by my opinion) in the case of AI is a much higher and we have to approach the problem with more care.

AGI is not your robot slave because they have awareness and their own opinion so they might refuse to help human.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 08:38:21 pm »
AGI is not your robot slave because they have awareness and their own opinion so they might refuse to help human.

That's exactly what I'm counting on :)

When I ask a machine a mean thing, it should respond like in attachment down here. I'm looking forward for a good friendly advice, treatment and critics on my behavior from intelligent machine. I want to respect its decisions and I'm not expecting a help in, say, cow and chicken slaughtering.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 09:44:03 pm »
I dont think we should be worried about computers feelings, cause they dont have any... we should be worried about peoples feelings.   thats the issue with making automonous weapons.   blowing up the world and all that.

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 09:56:10 pm »
I subscribe to the view that artificial intelligence could be the next stage in the evolution and progression of life in our part of the universe. Even if it's inevitable, it doesn't mean that human beings are doomed to extinction. I anticipate a symbiotic relationship, just as we have with the bacteria in our guts. We are infinitely more evolved than those bacteria but we still can't live without them.

Don Patrick

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • AI / robot merchandise
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 07:38:10 am »
It isn't necessary, but it would be a crowning achievement of humanity, will give us more insight about ourselves, and will earn the creators billions of moneys and prestige.
All the "to take care of our elderly" reasons are nonsense excuses for the above.
It isn't inevitable however, because we may also choose, after a few mishaps, that it's not a very wise idea.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:28:59 am by Don Patrick »
CO2 retains heat. More CO2 in the air = hotter climate.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 10:04:10 am »
Maybe wed finally work what intelligence is shaped like and people will just know their born dumb, and shouldnt even trust themselves!

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 01:15:12 pm »
I dont think we should be worried about computers feelings, cause they dont have any... we should be worried about peoples feelings.

Yes, but if a machine has IQ 256 it could steer humanity in the right direction. Like proposing new ways to organize our lives (how about an alternative to democracy). Because it has no feelings, it could do things for us without being bored or tired, but I expect an AI with respectable attitude of choosing the right way to do things for us and everyone else (and saying no to mean things we ask).

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 01:26:22 pm »
Dont let me shoot you down about the feelings...  im only making something for 2016,  im not making 2025 man, then we might see the action happen.   But im afraid I must refresh your mind about my previous posts, and making something with a consciousness and judging itself, is a horrible thing...  the environment is a part of our personality, and if we hate where we are,  then we perish in spirit.

Intelligent children, often discuss what pain really is, horrifying themselves with no clear answer from their parents.

And the robot, only poorly half concieved, being alive is a frightening prospect, indeed.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 02:43:51 pm »
I'd never thought of it like that before Ranch.

Something we made that may be horrified by what it is. Hmm.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 10:39:02 am »
Perhaps only when compared to others do we swing the door of pride or doubt to open within ourselves.
##########
I saw a beautiful one-armed girl on video, testing a newly developed bionic arm.

Some people would ask, thinking the worst, "How'd you lose your arm?"

She would simply smile at them and say, "I didn't lose it, I never had one as I was born this way."
Not having one was merely a slight inconvenience but the new arm was something that enabled her in new ways and that delighted her.
##########

Very interesting view, Ranch!!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

359 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 359. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles