• 10 Replies

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Disclaimer old brain @ work not liable for content
    • Chatbotfriends
Thoughts on the fear of AI
« on: October 07, 2015, 12:33:04 am »
I do not fear software  I do however have a strong distrust of humans (in general not singling anyone out) programming the software. Software only does what you tell it to so it is not inherently good or bad. People however have proven time and time again that they are not the altruistic species we would like lo think of them to be.
Do i foresee a lot of problems in the future? I don't know i am not a psychic but with advances in genetic engineering of human DNA and AI I do see alot of changes coming. Maybe more so then the industrial revolution brought. I seriously doubt they will all be beneficial simply because that is not how humans tend to roll.
So sue me

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
Re: Thoughts on the fear of AI
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 02:02:42 am »
I'm mostly afraid of myself for even coming close to AGI. What if I do something wrong? What if I make some nasty bug? What if my vision of the world is entirely wrong and has some serious misunderstanding of it?

But I want to make the world a better place to live in and I try to keep my work public, just in case for someone to have a chance to correct me.

I'm placing hopes in Mother Nature to magically assist us in this quest. Without this belief, I wouldn't touch AI. Call me silly, but I believe that continuous world improvement is not a coincidence.

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 04:48:00 am »
AI is still at present just software. So i am not worried about how you would program it. I am more worried about someone getting  the bright idea to make it virus like so that it could take control of other computer  systems. I am also of the opinion that it needs some kind of ability to interact with or view the world in order to truly understand it. Without understanding it is just a piece of software. Understanding something is a more elusive quality to program. You can toss all kinds of facts at it but with out understanding aka common sense it is just software.
So sue me

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 01:50:11 pm »
I don't feel worried at the moment, but that's to say nothing of the future. There's a good X-Files episode about runaway AI called Kill Switch if you get a chance to see it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_Switch_(The_X-Files)

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 09:02:06 am »
Well, try to kill Cortana in Win10 and see what happens. You can't.
Then ask her "where am i" on your lumia. She knows.

Cortana isn't a nice little chatbot that's here to help. It's a huge distributed intelligent system, that knows where people are, what they do, and that will be soon active on nearly every computer on the face of the earth, and we don't know much about her. What interface does she offer to her creators?

This is scary.

EDIT: Let's not forget Google, "Ingress" is pretty scary too...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:30:14 am by Zero »

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 03:17:22 pm »
Well, try to kill Cortana in Win10 and see what happens. You can't.
Then ask her "where am i" on your lumia. She knows.

Cortana isn't a nice little chatbot that's here to help. It's a huge distributed intelligent system, that knows where people are, what they do, and that will be soon active on nearly every computer on the face of the earth, and we don't know much about her. What interface does she offer to her creators?

This is scary.

EDIT: Let's not forget Google, "Ingress" is pretty scary too...

Well then it is all the more reason why one should learn to program. You can not fight what you do not understand.  Yes it is getting there i will admit but it is not there yet. It is  still just software. What can be created can be destroyed.
So sue me

Ultron

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • There are no strings on me.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 01:04:55 am »
I personally would not fear an AGI more then the average human being - it will do as it is raised to do, much like us. It can kill millions - or it can help billions. It's a gamble and it's nothing new.

When I think about an AGI's ability to manipulate digital data, I do not think it should be feared more then hackers. Even if we don't consider hackers - how much do you trust those companies which own important servers or your personal information? Do you think of them as invincible or honorable in eternal favor to you?

All fears of AI are unjustified, imho. Except, the part where people loose jobs - a realistic risk. But growing beyond their initial programming? Become more "aware" then us? Smarter, than us? No. A.I. (once created) can evolve, yes - but so can we.
Software and Hardware developer, and everything in between.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 03:36:13 pm »
Ultron, agreed for the most part but there will come a time in the near future where the intelligent, connected machines and AI, will become dominant over the rest of we humans.
Evolve? We humans have hardly evolved at all. Adapted perhaps to a few minor changes but I wouldn't call it evolving. Tolerating maybe a better suggestion.
Non-biological intelligence is evolving at a rapid rate and will continue to do so. Just wait.... O0
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Ultron

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • There are no strings on me.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 12:51:54 am »
Well when you put it in statistical slash technical slash raw characteristics of an organism / intelligence (raw processing power in this case) then yes, we are sitting ducks while inorganic potential is going through the roof, specially with the new quantum toys..

On the other hand, we are much too naive to compare lifeforms - we cannot compare ourselves with machines. In the end, it's about how well a creature can adapt and not how fast it can think or how well it can connect / communicate. We may be getting better in a sense that we do not even notice or understand, even though it seems as humanity is only plotting a course to destruction.

There is no measurement for intelligence or survival / domination - this is something i have decided to be beyond me and therefore I try to keep my predictions extremely limited and technical.
Software and Hardware developer, and everything in between.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 01:36:52 pm »
Bonjour imagrite!

The "measure" is and will be all around us. It is already here in our everyday lives...the technology, research and development that is crossing new boundaries with countless new applications that were previously impossible.

The intelligence isn't measured by just one application or device, but in the greater collection as a whole.
Where we were last year is completely different and outdated compared to where we are today and will be tomorrow.

<cue music> "...step into my Time Machine." - GFR
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

262 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles