« on: November 24, 2015, 03:07:58 am »
?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:28:56 am by catmandusty »

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Disclaimer old brain @ work not liable for content
    • Chatbotfriends
Re: Can AI be discovered from the Bible?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 09:46:47 am »
Um okay that is a first. I have no clue how you think the bible, which is a collection of stories from different authors is the same as a software program that imitates intelligence.

I think even if you go by the bible code which some adhere to it is a huge stretch to say that it is a form of AI.
So sue me

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 01:28:27 pm »
You could pick up a Christian personality from the Bible for your bot, just as you could pick up other personalities from other holy books. A person who builds a smart bot should have his ethics issues worked out and that could be learned from holy books.

As I plan to develop a true AI once in the future, I came up with a law that forbids an AI to be a criminal. It's composed of just one sentence, but I think it should be enough: "do not let anyone alive be hurt more than without your influence". A little bit heavy sentence, but the bottom line is: if you can't help, don't mess around. No trade offs, no compromises, if anyone would get hurt by your action, don't even think about it. This law is a replacement for three Assimov's laws, which I find archaic.

Don Patrick

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • AI / robot merchandise
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 04:58:33 pm »
According to its believers, you cannot create what only their god can create.
CO2 retains heat. More CO2 in the air = hotter climate.

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 09:12:20 pm »
You could pick up a Christian personality from the Bible for your bot, just as you could pick up other personalities from other holy books. A person who builds a smart bot should have his ethics issues worked out and that could be learned from holy books.

As I plan to develop a true AI once in the future, I came up with a law that forbids an AI to be a criminal. It's composed of just one sentence, but I think it should be enough: "do not let anyone alive be hurt more than without your influence". A little bit heavy sentence, but the bottom line is: if you can't help, don't mess around. No trade offs, no compromises, if anyone would get hurt by your action, don't even think about it. This law is a replacement for three Assimov's laws, which I find archaic.

You bring up a interesting point. Ethics in AI. One thing about rules that you need to remember is that for every rule there is a exception. There are few true absolutes when it comes to ethics.  I am not saying there are not things that should never be done I am saying that there are situations in where one kind of action normally would be illegal that is legal in another.  Murder is one of those things. In war it is not considered murder but labeled war. Even lying can be tricky. For example if your wife asks you if she looks fat in that dress and she does, a white lie would be the more prudent course of action lol.
So sue me

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 09:55:30 pm »
You are right. When I was ten, my sister asked me exactly the same question. As stupid as I am, I told her the truth and she never wore that dress again. I still regret that day and I hope she is not frustrated today because of that answer.

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • TV News. Pub. UAL (PhD). Robitron Mod. LPC Judge.
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 11:07:02 pm »
Well Raven,

They certainly did have computers thousands of years ago that were incredible even by today's standards.   Imagine you could "chat" with it about planet positions, and moon phases, and probably get all sorts of advice from it.  They are still discovering new things about the science of the Antikythera Mechanism.
My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 11:37:27 pm »
You could try pointing Spellbinder at the Bible perhaps.

They made Captain Kirk with it.

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 12:42:03 am »
Well Raven,

They certainly did have computers thousands of years ago that were incredible even by today's standards.   Imagine you could "chat" with it about planet positions, and moon phases, and probably get all sorts of advice from it.  They are still discovering new things about the science of the Antikythera Mechanism.

I know i have read about a few of their calculation devices but could you be more specific as to which ones you are referring to?
I do know that romans had a primitive robot which allowed their gods statues to turn. I am not discounting any of the ancient methods many of which got lost during the dark ages.
So sue me

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 01:12:24 am »
Without delving into various religions, suffice it to say that there are quite a few usable passages that one could use to "feed" or teach their respective bot(s). Just how much one should apply would depend on the bot's master. Some of the beatitudes, parables, stories might serve to help illustrate some ethics or other lessons to the bot provided it had the capacity to learn or understand.

Then again, there are tens of thousands of books in libraries, written throughout the ages that could pretty much serve a similar purpose.

Verily I say unto you, It all comes down to your individual purpose for / with your bot.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • TV News. Pub. UAL (PhD). Robitron Mod. LPC Judge.
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 02:07:24 am »
I know i have read about a few of their calculation devices but could you be more specific as to which ones you are referring to?

Yes, Raven.  Of course.  Let me be more specific about the... Antikythera Mechanism
The world's oldest known computer, now researchers are saying it is much older than 150 BC

http://www.autoworldnews.com/articles/10748/20141129/fragments-of-antikythera-mechanism-computer-are-older-than-previously-believed.htm

Recovered over a century ago from an ancient shipwreck, researchers are still making new discoveries about it.  Amazing! 
My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 02:31:19 am »

Yes, Raven.  Of course.  Let me be more specific about the... Antikythera Mechanism
The world's oldest known computer, now researchers are saying it is much older than 150 BC

http://www.autoworldnews.com/articles/10748/20141129/fragments-of-antikythera-mechanism-computer-are-older-than-previously-believed.htm

Recovered over a century ago from an ancient shipwreck, researchers are still making new discoveries about it.  Amazing!

I had not heard about that one. Thank you for the link. I do find the subject of ancient technologies fascinating.
So sue me

spydaz

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Developing Conversational AI (Natural Language/ML)
    • Spydaz_Web
Can AI be discovered from the Bible?
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 07:56:46 am »
Ahh this device , rebuilt by professor heinz ...
Actually not the first computer by a longshot.

Its surprising to know that clockworks, cogs and pulleys have always been around since the building of big structures as well as making fires(hand drill)

Yet the constant loosing or destruction of civilisations and new civilisations supplanting others the knowledge gets lost and forgotten.
Usually we attribute the finds such as these devices to aliens .

To draw conclusions from religious texts , can be said to be a task of information extraction, as well as formal and deductive logic reasoning aynalizers .
It would be prudent to create a religious ontology which can be further interrogated later After collecting or deducing .... Maybe?

Bible codes ... Hmm ancient translators of the original texts often places signatures inside their work, to trace their copys .

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 01:55:30 pm »
Ancient Battery?...Shocking! :o

A 2079 year old Battery? Perhaps...and a lot of 'experts' believe these batteries were used to electroplate various
trinkets, bracelets, tiny statues, etc.
While we may never know for sure, they, along with the other clockwork devices, indicate to us that the wheels of the human mind have been turning for quite a long time.

http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_11.htm

In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

spydaz

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Developing Conversational AI (Natural Language/ML)
    • Spydaz_Web
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 02:40:19 pm »
The question being how did they come to the conclusion that electroplating worked ... What did they try before that?

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

307 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 320. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles