Hello From Michigan

• 6 Replies

DaltonG

• Bumblebee
Hello From Michigan
« on: April 12, 2021, 03:55:16 pm »

Hi All, Looks like you've got a good thing going here. I wasn't really looking for a place to call home, but when came across a comment on WriterofMinds website about your forum, I thought I'd have a look. I spent a few hours yesterday reading posts on topics of interest which impressed me (lots of serious interested members). For anyone interested, particulars about my background, it can be found in my profile, so I won't bore you with that. I suspect, you'd prefer to know more about what I may offer the group in terms of AI and my particular views on AI.

I've been interested in neural net approaches to artificial intelligence since the 1980s after buying my first computer. I ran across a series of articles in AI Magazine describing the perceptron, MLPs, SOMs, ART, and so on. Since then, I watched it go through the AI winter and its resurgence to what it has become today. During the interim, between then and now, I'd periodically check the literature to see what progress had been made. Working and survival made major demands on my time. Somewhere around 2007, I was more or less forced into retirement Suddenly, I had lots and lots of time to do whatever I wanted to do (constrained by the limitations of age - I'm 76 now). I spent the first 5 years catching up on what I will refer to as Brain Science, for no particular discipline suffices for such a pursuit and they all seem to have something to say on the subjects related to brain emulation and artificial intelligence. It wasn't long before I realized that brain science and artificial intelligence were still frontiers and wide open to anyone - heck, you even have economists trying to establish principles.

In the beginning, I just thought it would be nice to have an intelligent personal assistant embedded in a computer that could interact with me and do things like search for information on topics of interest. I've always been one who enjoyed pursuing interests by tiptoeing my way through bibliographies. following my nose, to find gems of insight. It wasn't long until I realized that those who preached the mind/body relationship were probably right and that no real general intelligence could be produced without subjective feedback. To me, that meant that intelligence and sentience were interdependent. So, that brought in robotics. Needless to say, the simplistic and naive approach snowballed into a quest that's going to last longer than I am. Still, it fills life with purpose and meaning, and the occasional epiphany is better than any recreational pharmaceutical I've seen - not that I have ever engaged in such pursuits.

I won't say that the 5 year focused study was a waste of time, but I wasn't making any sort of progress in my pursuit. That, and a found myself shaking my head far too often in disagreement with what others were claiming. I have what I refer to as an exceptionally refined "exception detector," and it triggers when I perceive alternate interpretations for claims made in theories. You won't find me to be harshly critical, but you will find me offering alternate views on things. As an approach to AI, I see very little future for anything that doesn't conform to what's biological plausible and likely to be found in the brain. I'm not one who subscribes to reproducing biologically constrained architectures based on specific locals (like Brodmann Maps). I stick with fundamentals and ask questions like - "what in the world are all those synaptic connects for?" And then try to find reasons for them, like subnet influences. Or questions like, "why are there so many different kinds of neurotransmitters? Of course, the questions are endless and propagate more questions.

Once upon a time, I was a draftsman and worked in the electronics industry. I tend to think at the hardware level and create designs in schematic formats based on bit flipping and the black-box approach to figuring out how all the inputs/processes/outputs work in the brain. I try to lay it out in accordance with what I would expect in accordance with valid neurological principles and try to think holistically about the over all operation. Last but not least, I've been trying to write it all up in an eBook to leave behind as my legacy. All in all, it's been a thought experiment I've been pursuing for 14 years now. I would need another life time to complete it, but I believe I have made some progress, though some of it deviates from what's popular and fashionable in professional circles.

WriterOfMinds

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • WriterOfMinds Blog
Re: Hello From Michigan
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 06:05:45 pm »
Welcome to the forum! And it's nice to know that people find my blog once in a while ;)

It sounds like you might be interested in Korrelan's project, if you haven't already spotted it.

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 10:06:41 pm »
Hi @DaltonG, glad to have you here. Sorry about the delay in accepting your registration. We get hundreds of bogus registration attempts from spam bots every week. Most of them get filtered out automatically by the forum's anti-spam software. Some legitimate registrations are let through automatically but some get flagged and put on hold which is what happened to yours. Then I have to try to figure out if you're real or not from the little information that I have.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your ideas as it sounds like you have a unique perspective. You should check out Jeff Hawkins' work at Numenta and also the new book which he just published; I'm reading it at the moment. They have made great strides in figuring out how our brains really work and you are right, embodiment is a significant part of it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:13:49 am by infurl »

DaltonG

• Bumblebee
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 12:08:02 am »
I'm looking forward to hearing about your ideas as it sounds like you have a unique perspective. You should check out Jeff Hawkins' work at Numenta and also the new book which he just published; I'm reading it at the moment. They have made great strides in figuring out how our brains really work and you are right, embodiment is a significant part of it.

I'm quite familiar with Jeff Hawkins and have one of his books. His approach is more conventional than mine. I'm sort of in the margins in my views. I think what I primarily take exception to is what he refers to as sparse representations which to me is low resolution. I see it as limiting what can be. Commercialization of AI apps is what business and profit are all about, so I don't fault him for his approach. For those of us who are in this for the love of learning and discovery, commercialization and profit are so far over the horizon, it's out of sight and therefore out of mind. Besides, having been an independent entrepreneur (once upon a time), I know what it takes and I don't have the right kind of personality traits to be really successful. The only reason I last 13 years in business was I got in when competition was low to nonexistent, but that's another story.

By the way, as moderator or webmaster, is there a way of uploading my own avatar/icon? I have one I'd like to use which I use as a logo. It's appropriate in that it's a stylized representation of a neuron. If it's possible, just let me know the dimensions and dpi to conform to your format.

Welcome to the forum! And it's nice to know that people find my blog once in a while ;)
It sounds like you might be interested in Korrelan's project, if you haven't already spotted it.

To WriterOfMinds:
I've been following you for quite some time now - I first found you when I was looking into artificial muscles and you were experimenting with the fishing lines. Then you started your project on Acuitas and captured my attention long term.

Yes, I spotted Korrelan's project and looked through it yesterday (or was it the day before...hum). When you're retired, days tend to blur together.

Thanks for the Welcomes

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 12:25:26 am »
Welcome 😁
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 01:18:35 am »
By the way, as moderator or webmaster, is there a way of uploading my own avatar/icon? I have one I'd like to use which I use as a logo. It's appropriate in that it's a stylized representation of a neuron. If it's possible, just let me know the dimensions and dpi to conform to your format.

I think you can upload your own avatar if you go to your own profile and select "Forum Profile" just under the "Modify Profile" heading in the menu on the left of your screen. There is an option there to select or upload a profile picture. If you aren't given the option then it is because you don't have enough privileges yet. If you are unable to upload the image yourself, post it here and I'll set it as your profile picture for you. I only took over administration of the website last year so I'm still learning as I go.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 03:10:17 am »
I think trusty members can upload their own avatars.

Welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 03:54:11 am by ivan.moony »

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
March 28, 2024, 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

337 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 396. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles