Hey, I'm Ollie from South East England

• 5 Replies

OllieGee

• Nomad
    • My Wattpad writing page
Hey, I'm Ollie from South East England
« on: January 26, 2022, 01:01:17 pm »
Hey everyone,
Thought I would post here to give a bit of background on myself.
Firstly, I'm not strictly a new user (More an old user that's had a break for a year and now returning.)
My A.I interests are around keenly observing autonomy with A.I algorithms especially on how they can make our lives more enjoyable, easier (not Alexa, turn on my shower and make me a coffee. Hold on...that would be nice) and my main interest, the emergence of Autonomous cars using A.I. Oh and the Metaverse - I'm a keen contributor and builder (Using the Python language) of autonomous scripts.
And when I'm not working as a remote I.T project manager, I'm always looking for comments on my Sci-Fi Novel about some ultra-realistic video game where the game engine is developing faster than the developers ability to control it. If anyone is interested in that then my post on that can be found at: https://aidreams.co.uk/forum/general-chat/peril-quest-a-simulated-adventure-a-completed-work-of-fiction/
Looking forward to meeting some of you on here. Over and out for now!

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
Re: Hey, I'm Ollie from South East England
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 06:20:17 pm »
Tell us more about your work, that sounds really interesting.
IT development manager, does that involve coding? here at psychostudios (or whatever i rename it to be at the time.) things are a little chaotic, but I do try to develop a little, of late ive had mysterious drops in motivation,  but I still manage to tap in at least 30 lines a day,  I found by reducing the amount of lines I need to type by making the programs shorter it makes up for the lack of tapping I can get myself to do.

I'm 41, would you believe, and my health is deteriorating, because I smoke too much, I need to quit, very bad, but I have a death wish it seems and sometimes I think quitting is the gutless option, and real men smoke themselves to death!!!  (that was a serious joke.)  its terrible...

Maybe my lack of productivity could simply be just the effect of that.  Pity the fool I am. Its taken me a while,  but I have nearly finished my latest system, which I will be posting here for you guys.
I dont mind sharing the idea,   I just make a physics engine, and just keep iterating till Ive used up all the computers resources. (I do gpu code.) and I use it as a brute force search to get some hopefully nice robotic athletics going on the computer screen.

My dream is to make the next big thing in computers, which I think could be the next generation of "TV TENNIS" machines, except now theres 2 to 4 very good robots diving around instead of just rectanglar block paddles, but ill keep the graphics nice and simple line based stuff the same, to give more vintage effect. :)

I hope to have it uploaded here, ASAP, I've got very little more to write left (Ive nearly got it done... nearly!!!), its just I'm a either a very tired bunny with chronic fatigue, or a turtle, either way turtle tortoise it doesnt make much of a difference. ITS VERY SLOW development.

So thats the newies,  got any advice for a guy with no motivation left to get his homework done??   I just keep on truckin' myself, not sure what to do about it.

OllieGee

• Nomad
    • My Wattpad writing page
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 08:48:44 pm »
Well Magnus, Firstly, chuck the cigarettes away if you can, they're probably the worst thing you can do with your spare time. (I'm an ex, casual smoker btw, and since not having one in a few months I feel more energized and connected. Not easy to do, but I used to eat a piece of fruit every time I wanted a smoke, cheaper, and before you know it, you'll cut right down and be close to stopping altogether. Worked for me, and this is coming from someone that had various addictions... So it can work for anyone.
I'll keep this brief - My I.T project management day job involves me working for a large construction company within the I.T department where our small, newly-established department are responsible for implementing I.T services and projects that come in under 50K and fall within an 8-week delivery timeline (small projects) It's a small tight team, but we deliver stuff regularly which is more than can be said of the bigger project management team that we work with.  And I do a little Python coding to keep my hand in, which I'm interested in applying to some work projects in the future.
I like the idea of your physics engine. What languages and tools do you use? Have you created any posts within the A.I dreams forum that I could take a look at? Whatever it is,  keep it going! and you never know, maybe you might stumble on creating the next algorithm and realize your dream of 'making the next big thing in computers...'
And as I mentioned, as a part-time writer, I wouldn't be fulfilling my remit if I didn't take the opportunity to plug my work - If eating fruit doesn't distract you from reaching for that mid-morning cigarette then maybe reading a chapter of my sci-fi novel could be the distraction you're after! You can find it here: https://www.wattpad.com/story/293741097-peril-quest-a-simulated-adventure.
I've had some constructive comments from some users of this forum on some of the chapters and I'm always after more!
Finally, have I any advice for a guy with no motivation left to get his homework done? I'll just say you've got to get up every morning with determination if you're going to go to bed with satisfaction.  ::)
Cheers from a cold, gloomy, and wintry southeast corner of the United Kingdom.

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 10:02:46 pm »
Yep, I have to do it or shredded curtains... for real.  Thankyou for the kind encouragement.  Just thank god its not some more serious addiction, cause then I really would be needing even more miracles.

Work sounds interesting,  small projects are all the ones I would take,  not that I've done any commission work ever since I was younger and foolish enough to accept projects I had no chance in finishing.  I found the pressure used to get to me, but I wonder if I had this really kind "fake boss" that was playing tricks on me the whole time during my job would have been the only way it could have happened,  would be strange when I worked out all the commissions were made up examples, would come as a shock, because I was too immature at say 20...  I was hopeless and people are supposed to be in full time work at that age?!?!?!?  I cant believe its even possible!

What I use-> The 3d physics A.I. thing I'm doing now is all direct compute in visual studio, writing hlsl shaders for the parallel power.

Other than physics, I also have a little photogrammetry knowledge,  you can look it up on the internet to see what it is if you want. ;)

I'm going to give your creative writing a good read, and I'm sure I'm going to like it, and I'll give you a little kind review or something,  within a couple of days,  cause I'm sorta in a programmery mood, even tho I'm staring at it more than working, only have possibly 8 functions to do?(then its a proud presentation!! hehe)   And I'm in the middle of a move (gotta run sometimes),   so when things settle down a bit, I'll pay ur writing a little visit for a break.

Thanks.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 08:49:56 am »
Smoking is bad mkay  :)

I quit by first moving to vaping and then to nicotine spray. I feel much better for it and hopefully got back a couple of years of life. Do it now, this is kind advice :)

Dee

• Nomad
  • AI rocks!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 01:12:21 pm »
Hey everyone
Hi Ollie, welcome to the forum of old-style people  :D
This seems to be one of the last web forums on earth nowadays  :2funny:

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
March 28, 2024, 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

349 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 372. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles