Hi there, brand new roomba checking in

• 5 Replies

Bob

• Roomba
Hi there, brand new roomba checking in
« on: February 02, 2018, 11:48:18 am »
Hey there,

Bob's not my real name. To my right is a book called "Bobiverse". This may or may not be related to my username. I love sci-fi and just want A.G.I. to be here already (what's taking so long?). I'm 22 y/o, live in the Netherlands. I have finished my bachelor in Software Engineering and now I'm doing my pre-master in Computer Science.

I came to the conclusion that working on any side project would be a lot easier/more fun when you don't have to type everything yourself and could just ask. Even for just the "simple" stuff. So working on an A.I. before any other grand projects make sense to me. Not that I expect something in the near future. Anyway, it's quite fun to work on it.
I'm primarily interested in neuroscience and mimicking the brain. Or at least understand it to some degree and replicating the effects in a more resource-friendly version.

Everything I know about the brain is from my own lazy research. I have not (yet?) done anything neuroscience related at my university. :(

I think that we should treat A.I. as infants. The main benefit of having A.I. is that it's easier to hook them up to computer implants/interfaces (like what Neuralink tries to do with real people) because they... are computers. So that - and speed - is their major benefit compared to us. But like babies, we have to learn them everything step-by-step (and you don't give it a gun for f***'* sake).
I try to validate my models with what I know from my human experience and what I know of neuroscience. E.g. when laying in bed and everything is quiet I can pick up more and more small sounds. So it's plausible that there is some inhibition mechanism in place somewhere. There always seem to be holes in my knowledge so there are always assumptions.
Currently, I try to base my theory more on how smaller parts would function. And given that the smaller parts function in the way I hoped (which is testable), how would the bigger system turn out? I try to focus on a single part at a time but I try to keep it grounded by making assumptions which I can validate at some point. If that makes sense. This is a bit more practical when I actually have to program something.

I will post my theory sometime if it's not a huge success.  ::)

Hope to have some great conversations/theories/insights going on this forum.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
Re: Hi there, brand new roomba checking in
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 12:23:14 pm »
the main problem i think is people havent been able to optimize searches well enough,  they take too long to get through.   when this has been solved then its going to be done,  humanlike performance out of a computer.

It seems fun before its happened,  but afterwards it may have a dufuncting like effect on people,   its not all rosey what will happen when someone finally implements it.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 01:43:45 pm »
Hi Bob :)

Just crossed my mind, imagine all the billions of synapses in a human brain, that should take a vast of time to process it. I just realized that human brain could be the fastest processor in the world, when it comes to neural networks.

My approach is a bit different. I try to find a language that could be enough expressive do describe static and dynamic processes in the Universe. You may say it's a kind of mathematical logic,  but I find logic a bit restrictive when describing sequences, while the time, as an essence of the Universe is a must have for such a theory.

Lately, I learned about Lambda calculus and its Turing completeness, and it turned out that it overlaps greatly with my theory language. Still, I have some improvements, and I will try to write about them soon.

Good luck at your university :)

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 05:37:24 pm »
Welcome to the site Bob  :)

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:34:05 pm »
Hello Not-Bob!  ;)

Perhaps one day we'll be able to model the brain much the same way as robots have learned vastly complicated tasks, by watching movements and practices then emulating them on their own. It eliminates tedious and copious lines of code and the end result is much faster.

Watch Keghn's post about  robots. http://aidreams.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12813.0;topicseen .

Again, welcome, enjoy your visit and best of luck with your studies.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 05:40:13 pm »
Yooowww... Bobbbb... dude.... Welcome

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

312 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
ivan.moony
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles