home robots

• 9 Replies

zoraster

• Roomba
home robots
« on: October 08, 2017, 06:48:14 pm »
I haven't posted for a long time but I'm going to introduce myself again. I'm a disabled computer tech who would like to make a home robot with ai. I don't know much about ai so I guess I need to learn a bunch. I've played with Guile3d Denise but not really happy with it, and a couple of others.

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
Re: home robots
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:39:48 am »
i have a similar dream.     id love to secure my house with ai, which may include a walking body,   ive been doing it for a while,. its a lot of work!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 03:10:00 am »
Welcome back Zoraster :)

Since we started this site over a decade ago I've found one of the best ways to learn is to do some practical programming work. I don't know if this is possible for you but thought I would mention it.

Billdoor

• Roomba
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 12:16:52 pm »
Hello.
Literary the ton of projects is at https://www.hackster.io/. All the imaginable and unimaginable things. And there're a lot of sites with the same topic.
You may try as well reverse-engineer robotic vacuum cleaners. I have this Idea for a long time myself. There're so many ways you can modify them and gain an amazing experience and knowledge in robotics, data-processing, image-recognition etc.  Just search for documentation for as much as possible models and develop a vision of way one engineered better or worse than another. Here full skope of currently successful models  http://tenrows.com/robot-vacuum/

Thierry

• Nomad
  • God is a sphere. Press 9 to enter.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 07:23:35 pm »
I haven't posted for a long time but I'm going to introduce myself again. I'm a disabled computer tech who would like to make a home robot with ai. I don't know much about ai so I guess I need to learn a bunch. I've played with Guile3d Denise but not really happy with it, and a couple of others.

For a home robot one of the best are certainly from Boston Dynamics...(if you have $$$$  :))

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 03:49:04 am »
Instead of a Home Robot with a Smart A.I. why not just make a Smart Home with a built in A.I.?

A robot can only physically be in one place at a time whereas a Smart Home is all seeing and all knowing, able to immediately pinpoint a problem, fix or contain it, then alert you, the owner, that there was an issue but that it has already been dealt with. Now that's efficient and reassuring.

One can also start with a relatively small budget and much less hardware and programming skills than is required in the construction of a robot and the thousands of dollars invested in hardware, not to mention the many, many hours of programming attempts. Again, covering one place at a time while trying to navigate the home with people / children / pets / obstacles, etc.

Not trying to dissuade you but merely to provide some options to accomplish the same goal.

You could converse with your house as you might with Google Home, Alexa, Cortana, Siri or whatever similar device.

In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

lucileburt

• Roomba
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 05:57:32 pm »
I have posted for a 1st time but I'm going to introduce myself .Hi my name is lucileburt, I am a "graduate" of the first LCL course. sizegenetics results here Like all great learning it changed and transformed me and I feel it will do the same for all of you.

I have been asked to be a part of the second "journey" by the LCL team, to help in online discussions and give support in whatever way I can. I am very happy to do this and know that I will learn so much more from you all in the weeks ahead.

As a brief introduction to myself, I am a retired teacher, headteacher and Primary Mathematics Consultant living in the U.K. I regularly blog about "lifelong learning" and have a real interest in the the importance of recent developments in neuroscience and technology to transform education from where it currently lies in the past to where it us capable of getting to.

I look forward to our online discussions and wish you well in your future growth.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 06:34:33 pm by lucileburt »

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 02:29:05 pm »
Sorry Lucileburt I didn't notice your first post.

Welcome to the forum.

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 05:19:34 pm »
Greetings LucileBurt!

Nice to have you with us. Look around and feel free to chime in, ask questions, lurk or just have fun.

O0
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 05:23:07 pm »
Welcome :)

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

307 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles