Working on my own AI architecture.

• 15 Replies

AndyGoode

Working on my own AI architecture.
« on: February 26, 2019, 10:17:48 pm »
I just joined this site a few days ago, but this is the first day I've posted anything. About me:

I've been in a lot of online AI forums and science forums, and I've been very disappointed in all of them, each for its own set of reasons, so I'm hoping this relatively new forum will be better. If I had time I'd create my own AI forum, but I just don't have the time.

I'm a professional in the field of AI but I'm an unknown. At least so far. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but I'm really fed up with everything nowadays: the state of the art of AI, the state of the world, the state of public education, the lousy AI forums everywhere, the animal-like nature of the human race, the lousy economy, and more. No wonder the human race hasn't made a breakthrough in AI so far: it lacks the basic foundations to do so, and it couldn't safely handle real AI even if our species did produce it.

Anyway, maybe this forum will be good for me because I came up with my own AI architecture that I'm still developing, so I might fit well into the "dreams" category since my dream project is to make my AI architecture work well on many difficult problems. If anybody here is interested in working on a promising AI project, whether for a high school science project or a possible start-up company or whatever, they should keep me in mind because I might need some programmers one of these months, possibly for pay, I wouldn't mind giving advice, and I'd love to see others believe in my project, too. My idea is that I will eventually start a thread that describes what I'm working on, with links to my online documentation, and with ongoing news for anybody who's interested.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: Working on my own AI architecture.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 10:38:22 pm »
Welcome to the forum Andy, looking forward to reading more about your projects. :)

People here are of very mixed levels and interests, I'm sure you will find interested parties here in time.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:55:27 pm »
Welcome Andy.

It's a nice steady forum, friendly people and loads to read in the archives.

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 11:49:30 pm »
Wow Andy....you literally sound like me....

1) I hate this world too, not funny place. I'm building AGI and getting the hey outa here.

2) I too can't program, and lucky since most love my idea I got a senior working on it for free for over 5 days straight. But if you can help me...tell me! Also I need to know what you know. I too made my own whitebox simpleNet design. But it got the plan man, it gots it.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • TV News. Pub. UAL (PhD). Robitron Mod. LPC Judge.
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 03:38:59 am »
Andy mentioned, "I've been in a lot of online AI forums" so I did a quick search and found:

What are the best online discussion forums on artificial intelligence?
Reference: https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-best-online-discussion-forums-on-artificial-intelligence

Right there at the top, one of the first mentioned, "Then there is something called Ai Dreams, where the members take part in projects and experiments and their results and findings are discussed." which was pretty close to what I expected.  Turns out that the first one mentioned (just before AI Dreams) is no longer online ( just making an observation about ai-forum.org ).  So, that may mean that now the best online discussion forums on artificial intelligence is Ai Dreams.

Can you suggest any other A.I. forums?

I'll get it started:

chatbots.org
vrconsulting.it
botlibre.com
My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 04:19:28 am »
Hey Andy.

Good to have an additional professional, it complements the occasional wild-ass speculation sessions!

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 12:32:17 pm »
Seems like only 1 I found, not 4, so here's my pull therefore:
https://deeptalk.lambdalabs.com/categories

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 01:07:25 pm »
Welcome, Andy! Good to have you with us! O0

@ 8pla.,net - VRConsulting / Virtual Humans Forum will be shut down forever in September 2019.
A message to that effect has been posted there for several weeks. That was a really interesting site at one time. All things must end.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 05:02:53 pm »
@Art:

Although VHF has been quiet, that may be a blessing in disguise.
Perfect time to setup a new forum, modernize the topics ( the
classic topics are valuable too. ), and switch from classic Active
Server Pages (ASP) to the newest PHP version.

With no intention of self promotion whatsoever, since it is merely
an experiment to integrate a chatbot brain into a forum, including
ways to possibly monetize it. Posting to this free forum directly
adds records to the chatbot brain at: http://chatbot.altervista.org
VHF may want to consider setting up a free phpBB forum like this.

Check the latest Terms of Service, but for the sake of discussion,
the ads displayed are apparently optional,  not mandatory.
Much thanks to Ranch of Chatbot Friends for the inspiration.

Lastly, I read on chatbots.org that there is a new Virtual Humans
book https://chatbots.org/ai_zone/viewthread/3605 ... The Virtual Humans
Forum could be promotional for that book.  It may be prime time to
stay online for readers of the new Virtual Humans book.

« Edit Notes: A few minor edits made to the first draft.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 07:08:55 pm by 8pla.net »

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 08:03:44 pm »
Here's some more forums, with my very first impressions hehe:

nasty lil buggers - busy, lots of threads - active, pros but too busy, completely speculative as I'm unsure
https://forums.fast.ai/

BORING, dry, not really a forum, but is, busy lil... , stupid forum
https://www.deeplearning.ai/forums/community/general-forum/introduce-yourself-to-the-deeplearning-ai-community/

AndyGoode

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 10:32:51 pm »
Wow Andy....you literally sound like me....

1) I hate this world too, not funny place. I'm building AGI and getting the hey outa here.

2) I too can't program, and lucky since most love my idea I got a senior working on it for free for over 5 days straight. But if you can help me...tell me! Also I need to know what you know. I too made my own whitebox simpleNet design. But it got the plan man, it gots it.

Thanks for your response. Your inference is a little faulty, though. I have been a professional programmer for many years, so I can definitely program. The main reasons I am considering hiring somebody else to program are:
(1) The language I want to use requires about five programs or libraries to be working together, which requires extensive installation knowledge and more, which is different from programming knowledge. I found only one source of documentation on how to integrate these programs, it was a YouTube video, and it didn't even say what most of those programs did, and the versions were outdated by the time I saw the video, so now I'd need to know which *versions* are compatible, as well: an escalating nightmare of foundations to be researched before I can get anything running at all.
(2) I'm low on time.

If I can help you out in a way that doesn't involve my spending too much time at it, I'd be happy to do so. If your idea is better than mine, I'd even help program your idea for you. What language are you using? I was planning on using VPython, but I'm open to other language suggestions. Every language has drawbacks: Python is usually interpreted so will not be easily portable as a single EXE file, Java is a security risk and has no decent graphical interface that's standard, and I know C++ but I don't believe it has a standard graphical interface and I hate it across the board for many reasons.

Does anybody else have recommendations about which language would be best to run on a PC/laptop with MS Windows? I need a good graphical interface that is easy to program, can manipulate imported photographs, and can produce graphical simulations, much preferably using the object-oriented paradigm. I also don't know much about creating interfaces between programs, such as whether Python can or should handle that, and if not, what would be a good substitute. I've read that one problem with expert systems and maybe neural network programs is that users typically have their own data and data formats that they need to give to the program in their own way, and that users often want to use commercial software as one piece of a chain, but often the producers of such software often require data to be inputted or outputted in their own way, especially manually. For example, a person might want a neural network to calculate the amount of a match with a given category of object, and then to feed that number into another program running at the same time, automatically, without having to type in all that data to get the neural network to run, then to manually type the output into another program. I don't want to produce annoying software like that, which wouldn't be useful to a lot of people.

I'd also be very interested in what types of problems people would want to see solved using claimed AGI software. Chatbots are pretty much out, since they require too much knowledge to be convincing. Block stacking programs, IQ test problems, the piano mover's problem, and chess won't be of much interest to most people, though those would be great theoretical demos. Maybe puzzle solvers, like sudoku or jigsaw puzzles or chess puzzles? I've read that a new technology doesn't become accepted unless it is significantly better than its preceding technology, so a good, general application would be important for the goal of making money and/or getting the technology widely used.

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 05:42:27 am »
Andy asked, "Does anybody else have recommendations about which language would be best to run on a PC/laptop with MS Windows?" and went on to say, "I need a good graphical interface that is easy to program, can manipulate imported photographs, and can produce graphical simulations, much preferably using the object-oriented paradigm."

In my opinion, PHP does that and more.
1. PHP runs on a PC laptop with MS Windows with an IIS webserver, and it is free.
2. PHP syntax is like C/C++ Language, but easier, since it uses typeless variables.
3. PHP embeds into HTML, CSS and JavaScript for a web based graphical interface.
4. PHP can manipulate imported photographs (.jpg, .gif, .png ) and produce graphical simulations. 
    a. For example see: "Question Answerer" at http://www.datahopa.co.uk
5. PHP supports object oriented.

Reference:
http://www.datahopa.co.uk/forum/gallery/wallpapers-interior-motifs/question-answerer/338
After page loads, scroll down to the game board, then press F5 to rotate the arrow. 

AndyGoode

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 09:09:30 pm »
Andy asked, "Does anybody else have recommendations about which language would be best to run on a PC/laptop with MS Windows?" and went on to say, "I need a good graphical interface that is easy to program, can manipulate imported photographs, and can produce graphical simulations, much preferably using the object-oriented paradigm."

In my opinion, PHP does that and more.
1. PHP runs on a PC laptop with MS Windows with an IIS webserver, and it is free.
2. PHP syntax is like C/C++ Language, but easier, since it uses typeless variables.
3. PHP embeds into HTML, CSS and JavaScript for a web based graphical interface.
4. PHP can manipulate imported photographs (.jpg, .gif, .png ) and produce graphical simulations. 
    a. For example see: "Question Answerer" at http://www.datahopa.co.uk
5. PHP supports object oriented.

Reference:
http://www.datahopa.co.uk/forum/gallery/wallpapers-interior-motifs/question-answerer/338
After page loads, scroll down to the game board, then press F5 to rotate the arrow.

Many thanks. I also know PHP (I took a class in it years ago, but then never used it after that) and I like it, but similar to JavaScript, it runs only from web pages, which seems weird. I'm thinking of all the programs I install on my laptop that come in EXE format, often accompanied by an installation wizard, and I'm guessing that such format is the standard way of distributing software, both free and commercial. None of those require going into a browser to run, at least not as far as I can tell.

WriterOfMinds

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • WriterOfMinds Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 07:55:26 pm »
There are ways to compile Python code into an EXE. The main disadvantage I'm aware of is speed; Python EXEs are not necessarily as optimized for their platform as C-based programs would be (though there may be ways around even that).

On the GUI front, I would actually be inclined to say that Java is better. I wrote my own AI projects in Java before switching to Python, and the built-in Swing GUI seemed more full-featured and easier to use than either Tkinter (Python's built-in GUI library) or Kivy (the Python GUI library I use now). Python is less clunky than Java in many ways, but I miss Swing. I have not used VPython though.

I have worked in C++ for my day job and am also repelled by it.

AndyGoode

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 10:53:09 pm »
There are ways to compile Python code into an EXE. The main disadvantage I'm aware of is speed; Python EXEs are not necessarily as optimized for their platform as C-based programs would be (though there may be ways around even that).

On the GUI front, I would actually be inclined to say that Java is better. I wrote my own AI projects in Java before switching to Python, and the built-in Swing GUI seemed more full-featured and easier to use than either Tkinter (Python's built-in GUI library) or Kivy (the Python GUI library I use now). Python is less clunky than Java in many ways, but I miss Swing. I have not used VPython though.

I have worked in C++ for my day job and am also repelled by it.

Good information, thanks. Yes, I read that there was a way to put Python into EXE, but I never tried it, and I remember there were enough drawbacks that most people didn't do that, but by now I don't remember the drawbacks. Speed reduction makes sense, but then I don't particularly need fast speed, so I would be satisfied with slower speed. My main goal is to produce a demo, especially one that captures people's imagination about the possibilities, like John Hopfield's famous Traveling Salesman Problem on a neural network did. For several years after his article, every neural network conference had loads of papers with variations on his demo. If I could produce a demo that captured people's imaginations like that, I wouldn't need to push to promote my architecture because other people would do it for me. That would be the ideal.

As for Java graphics, it seems I need to research that topic more. I was planning to collaborate with one guy who mostly used Java, and he was so frustrated with their graphics system that he wrote his own graphics interface for Java. From that I got the impression that Java graphics was really bad, but since I never researched it and never researched which graphics packages exist, I can't be sure. I do like Java as a language (I took a class in Java, too, but never used that language, either), but I always had so many security warnings on my PC stemming from Java programs that I finally removed all traces of Java from my PC.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

301 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles