The Future

• 18 Replies

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
The Future
« on: July 28, 2020, 08:53:34 pm »
I ran into this video accidentally and was pretty impressed if you've got a half-hour it's worth watching:

Future

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
Re: The Future
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 12:44:17 am »
Mind pulling. Just jaw dropping. Really interesting video. I have heard of many things in it and even read/saw a similar one before but does raise a good question.

My plan is to make Earth into nanobots within 100 years max. We will not stay here, Earth will fly out of the solar system like a giant rocket and will eat other planets and we will expand to become a less dense galactic size replication "intelligence". We model all the universe and understand/predict it with little data. My plan is we will escape the black holes etc and can grow ourselves larger and be guarded inside our huge galactic system. Our only problem is if the universe is expanding and never pulls back together, then there's no way to get what we lose! Otherwise we can handle it! Other issue is the big crunch, we'd have to keep outside it to stay in tact. Only if all matter at the SAME time comes pulled together would be not be able to, so I think we have a chance for this possible issue. As for expansion, if exists, we can try to stop radiation of our huge world by either growing large enough or making our world out of hard metal, but that seems to not stop radiation from leaking :(
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 01:47:40 am »
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/07/28/2058247/theoretical-physicists-say-90-chance-of-societal-collapse-within-several-decades

There's little chance of our civilization surviving beyond the next few decades. It's no longer a matter of if or when but of just how catastrophic it is going to be. There might not even be any human beings left in another few hundred years.

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 03:30:30 am »
https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/07/28/2058247/theoretical-physicists-say-90-chance-of-societal-collapse-within-several-decades

There's little chance of our civilization surviving beyond the next few decades. It's no longer a matter of if or when but of just how catastrophic it is going to be. There might not even be any human beings left in another few hundred years.

What will end up being human within next few hundred years will be as alien as Australopithecus would view us in comparison to themselves and by the same token how we would see Australopithecus...

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 07:23:38 am »
I think future people will be surprised by our theories. Alan Watts had a cool perspective about how the future is unexpected by its nature, because what you know will happen, has already happened experientially. It's already part of our consciousness, like a recorded soccer match watched on a loop, it slowly loses its point as we begin to memorize the sequence of events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Mw-tF1AdI
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 02:43:52 am by Hopefully Something »

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 06:13:49 pm »
Correct me if I missed something but....That was a drama of nonsense....wasted 8 minutes of my life....evolution/intelligence gets stronger the better you predict.....

HS gave a summary. Well, even a massive most advanced technology nanobot sphere can't predict perfectly ex. where its own atoms that make up its memory are (well, maybe it could). But it can predict good enough and extremely well. WE will reach that point yup. A civilization can too, not impossible. It doesn't make life worse, but better when you understand physics / what will / should happen (what you want to occur). Breakfast for me occurs each morning, I know it, and it's what I want too  :2funny: Part of my prediction is my desire and it also happens to be what I'll do! Stars are hot, humans eat breakfast. I can predict what will happen. And I love it / await for it.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 08:06:27 pm »
Well, yeah. In a way you're right, but of course you can mean that in both a positive, and a negative way. Alan had a great knack for making nonsense out of the universe. For me this imbues life with a sense of wonder and mystery. First, he shows you can look at time this way, then another way. Do we eat to live, or live to eat..? Eventually you give up, and get on with life without trying to make sense of it too much. Then people are like WTF dude why are you suddenly so positive, what new thing have you been doing to fix yourself? And you're like, I've stopped doing so much, because my problem was that I've been tiring myself out.

Many problems can be a kind of OCD, where the trap with the mental landscape is in trying to fix it with the mental landscape. But really the counter thought pattern to the first thought pattern is not a fix, but just another effort sink and distraction from the present. So, these nonsense ideas have their value, they kind confuse many habitual mental patterns and states out of existence. It's very enjoyable listening to this guy having fun, when most intellectuals/philosophers take themselves and their ideas quite seriously. Good for falling asleep to.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 02:44:43 am by Hopefully Something »

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 08:48:14 pm »
We eat because it's "GOOD" and evolution made it that way so we maintain our structures. We are just machines that growthed from a long history, we do and we do, we eat and we do so do just that, we eat. Why? Because we do. Why? Because it keeps us alive. It's is it is it itself just that.

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 07:23:30 pm »
We eat because it's "GOOD" and evolution made it that way so we maintain our structures. We are just machines that growthed from a long history, we do and we do, we eat and we do so do just that, we eat. Why? Because we do. Why? Because it keeps us alive. It's is it is it itself just that.

True, but mother nature shifted to a virtual reward system where it motivates, arouses, and drives (MAD) animals to form and execute goals. So you really don't eat because it keeps you alive you eat because of the discomfort from hunger and the gratification from eating. This approach works very well, so eating to stay alive isn't really something most animals are aware of, other than humans.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 07:53:23 pm »
If you eat healthy, you can live longer to eat more food in the end.

It's just a machine eating and surviving, it's true goal is to live as long as can to get infinite food, games, mates, and palaces ;D

To sum it up: Survival.
The goal is to get a better life after the singularity. Survival also let's you do just that!
So we get better at feeling safe....survival.

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 08:15:00 pm »
You mention eating as something glorious and noble. I'm asking you, can we eat the God then?

Isn't that the premise of Christianity? I mean the Eucharist is practiced every Sunday...

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 09:00:33 pm »
You mention eating as something glorious and noble. I'm asking you, can we eat the God then?

Isn't that the premise of Christianity? I mean the Eucharist is practiced every Sunday...

Leave the religion out of this. He thinks with his tongue and I lost it. He wants to live forever, while he doesn't hesitate to kill and eat. And then he brags about it. Call me crazy, but I expect at least a bit of shame.

Well, he can do what he wants. If I don't like it I don't have to watch it. I don't have to be here.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 09:51:49 pm »
Where did you get that quote from? Don't see it no this thread. Only 2 occurrences of 'noble'....

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 11:34:17 pm »
Leave the religion out of this. He thinks with his tongue and I lost it. He wants to live forever, while he doesn't hesitate to kill and eat. And then he brags about it. Call me crazy, but I expect at least a bit of shame.

Well, he can do what he wants. If I don't like it I don't have to watch it. I don't have to be here.

Ah...Now I get it...Well singularities probably won't taste very well, just kidding.  :P

But, you might want to look at it this way...Think of animals as well as plants as resource factories. They take in raw materials and turn them into nutrients that others can eat. Imagine being in a wasteland of grass and this grass has evolved in this wasteland for millions of years. It has adapted to all the bugs, diseases, floods, fires, etc. Now if you decided to introduce a crop(s) where the grass once grew that crop may not have the ability to cope with the issues of the wasteland environment. So where am I better off; trying to grow plants that will have a hard time living in the new environment, where I then have to use insecticides or other harmful approaches to deal with diseases, insects and the environments idiosyncrasies or raise cattle that can digest the wild grass and turn it into nutrition?

Granted the animal is sacrificed but it is scraficed for human life. However, I will agree that there should be more respect for these animals giving up their life for humanity and should be in very humane conditions until they are harvested. So without a technology that can turn raw materials into food for humans animals and plants will be used. My opinion at least....

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 01:00:39 am »
Granted the animal is sacrificed but it is scraficed for human life. However, I will agree that there should be more respect for these animals giving up their life for humanity and should be in very humane conditions until they are harvested. So without a technology that can turn raw materials into food for humans animals and plants will be used. My opinion at least....

We take so much, and do so little. I can't believe we have to turn forty to get our thoughts together. And when we finally do it, there is not much we can do about it because the rest of the world doesn't care.

But leave it now... I lost my temper back there, I couldn't help it, but I should have more understanding. We were all kids before. And we shouldn't rush other kids to grow up once we grow up. Adulthood brings a bitter taste that I don't really want others to taste.

Anyway, good opening post, great video. Some inconsistencies in it, but very interesting overall.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

321 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles