INCOMING RED HOT NEWS!

• 6 Replies

Dante

• Mechanical Turk
INCOMING RED HOT NEWS!
« on: June 04, 2009, 01:42:31 am »
Thankfully few times in my life have I ever been put into a position where a lesser man would have a seriously messy bowel movement.

Today, however, was one of those times.

Since I started my “Career” in Artificial Intelligence, I've always seen the storm on the horizon, yet today, we moved closer to that storm. I'll list this below;

Last month, Wolfram/Alpha ( www.wolframalpha.com ) went on-line. Wolfram/Alpha is a mathematical engine, designed to take apart queries constructed of natural language looking for keywords to answer questions with a mathematical element in them. (I also wish for it be on record that Wolfram/Alpha's launch has to be the most open and enjoyable launch ever seen, with live webcasts, twitter feeds and facebook pages, not to mention the many tools to easily get to Wolfram/Alpha.

'Google Squared' is now available, a sort of 'data system'. ( http://www.google.com/squared ), Google is more or less the biggest repository of information, it has archives of many, many, MANY sites. Has complete access to a good deal of the world's books and has quite high resolution imagery of the Earth, the stars and Mars. Google Sqaured, however, is designed to give you statistics on any item you fancy; you could type in 'Dog breeds' and you'd get the different breeds of dog, complete with height, weight and country of origin. (Note; this service is still in Google Labs, which means it is still under development and testing, think of it as being in 'Alpha')

Then we have Siri, a 'decision engine' if you will, a system that is designed to answer the question that no other system can; “What shall I do?” From the news of Siri, it seems to gather information about local events before suggesting a course of action. It can, of course, do other things, like recommend restaurants around your position. Looking at the various 'interviews' with the system it seems to know you a little bit, as well, like where you work, your interests, and so on as well as local services, weather reports and whatnot. It also accepts speech as input. And personally, is the only app I'd buy an iPhone for. ( www.siri.com )

But those items of interest above are only the first step in Web 3.0. I will now tell you why I REALLY wrote this article. What REALLY made me throw away a good pair of pants.

Lionhead Studios, a British game maker, known for making the game series Black and White (heavy AI-human interaction) and the Fable series (a large, open-world area set in mystical times that relies heavily on user empathy for it's “AI”) came out with a new project during E3 2009 a few days ago. Milo.

Milo is a boy, but not just any boy, you interact with him via speech and emotional recognition, as well as Microsoft's new interface (which is seemingly an idea stolen from poor ol' Nintendo). Your role in this 'game'? To be his friend.

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/210554/molyneux-reveals-project-milo-features-groundbreaking-realistic-motion-voice-interaction/

Now, ladies and gentlemen, I must lie down, After watching that I've gone all quesy.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: INCOMING RED HOT NEWS!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 04:12:20 pm »
Thanks for the article Dante.  Google squared looks like it will prove useful.

As for Milo, yes I saw that video the other day and was very impressed.  I think it's going to appeal to the casual gamers out there as well as the hardcore gamer if they develop it right.  I think I would go for it, it looks fascinating and there is no end of things they could do with it.  I can see it being used in the fantasy RPG genre where NPC's will come to life whenever you interact with them.  That passing of the paper and the playing with water was really cool.

I think I might need a new pair of pants too.  But more likely I will need an even bigger screen..

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:03:06 pm »
No games...

I think what this is really about is the new era of increased interactivity and immersion into a virtual environment.

Imagine a future where you are not shackled to your computer via a controller, wireless or connected, but are
free to interact and engage your computer any time you choose within your home.

Think about home automation, where your central computer controls (within your choices and limits) various
items around your house. You can verbally carry on a conversation with your home, interact with it in a bit of
diversion (insert game here), water lawns, close blinds, track inventory items, manage banking accounts, remember
family members' birthdays, etc.

The avatar could serve as a companion for shut-ins, elderly, children (as a motivator / helpmate with studies or
homework), or simply provide a representative individual with which to help focus while communicating.

Yes, IMHO, I think game applications are only shaving ice from the surface...not the big chunk!

Remember when the laser came out many years ago? Think back about the applications then compared to now.
Similar vein of thought.

Embrace the singularity...for it is coming like a runaway train!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 01:42:55 pm »
Sorry I must still have the mind of a Gamer.  Good ideas Art, I see where you are going but I want games !
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:35:04 pm by Freddy »

Dante

• Mechanical Turk
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 02:17:31 pm »
It's all very exciting really. I wasnt expecting something like Milo for at least 20 years!

I like Natal, sure it means that some common gametypes prevelent now will no longer work properly. But consider this; there are many more now, many more interactive gametypes that would not work with a controller but will with this.

Also, check out the speech synthsis, imaigne that with some games! "Dante, you cad! You shot me in the leg!

I think perhaps some of the best games will come using a hybrid of both NATAL and the controller., my enemies could recognize my expression, along with my playstyle, and more or less deduct how I'm faring.

I'm not a lover of Microsoft, but this is something I definatly hope will work.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:29:46 pm »
Yes same here, it's hard to believe they got this far really.  I can see First Person Shooters being developed to use these systems too.  Most of my gaming time in the recent past has been in the RPG genre, so I would love to see something developed for that kind of thing.

Just wondering if that actually is Speech Synthesis or pre-recorded.  If it's SS then that does open up non-linear plot lines even more.

Well, let us know if you hear any more on this.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 10:03:48 pm »
Freddy,

Put on yer thinking cap and set the dial on yer way back machine...

I believe the "Interactive" game of the era was called...

Dragon's Lair - a laserdisc video game published by Cinematronics in 1983.

Fun concept and it never played exactly the same way twice.
Mutilple choices, multiple events and endings.

Not at all like the wonderful interaction we're seeing in Milo but
for it's time...it was the cat's meow.

Dante, Although it was way prior to your time, you may have heard of it in your
travels / research.

In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

293 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
squarebear
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 336. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles