Just wanted to start small talk about a lesser known emergent technology.

• 10 Replies

lrh9

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Rome wasn't built in a day.
Recently, after I built my new computer, I was thinking about processors and processing power, and for some reason I thought, "Why can't processor manufactures build processors that not only have a length and a width, but also have a height as well? Couldn't they use the vertical space to make more powerful processors?"

So I searched on the Internet, and sure enough like most good ideas this one had all ready been thought of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-dimensional_integrated_circuit

I was searching for the wrong term, but I managed to find that. Even after searching for that, it's still a relatively little known technology. At most, I've seen results for patents and books about it, but no actual products, prototypes, and research. I also wonder why it isn't on Wikipedia's list of emerging technologies. Maybe that list is reserved for research into new fields, instead of new technologies based on established research.

It certainly seems like a good idea. All ready scientists claim that there are practical barriers such as heat to Moore's law, and I've even read that it is possible Moore's law will no longer apply to integrated circuits by the end of the first half of this century. I think that's part of the reason we're seeing research and development into microprocessors with multiple processing cores and multiprocessor computer boards. However, a three dimensional processor would provide some advantages over the current trends in parallel computing. From what I've read, it would allow for wider data bandwidth between RAM and the processor, and it would also allow for faster computing compared to multiprocessor boards because of the decreased distance between units in the processing system.

I think the major problem is cooling. With current microprocessors, you have to have a massive heatsink and fan to cool it, along with thermal compound. I'm not sure how they would overcome the problem of heat.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
Re: Just wanted to start small talk about a lesser known emergent technology.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 02:43:18 am »

Years back the Japanese were experimenting with 3 dimensional "stacking" of data on various electronic and magnetic storage media.

Even better happened in the 1970's...Bubble Memory. Quite fast for it's time but not able to compete with falling drive media prices.

Look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_memory
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

one

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 03:55:25 am »
lrh9,
I think you will find October's issue of Discover mag "Thinking Machines"
A very good read.
The guy is from Africa and has a good idea, the proposed item will reduce Refrigerator sized computers that cost $100,000 to operate down to a briefcase sized unit (heat/electricity reduced accordingly as well)

J.

P.S.
I have received info from John Arthur,,, Links to you, hope you find them useful.
www.stanford.edu/group/brainsinsilicon/index.html

I believe he said their is some older work in the 'in the news'. /pdf/05_sciam_neurmorphchips.pdf

and AZ, http://neuromorph.ece.arizona.edu/content/links.html

Enjoy.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

one

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 01:47:39 pm »
irh9,
The utiites available for download really do work,, impressive. (Stanford)/ (Bohean's lab)

Now I just need to know how to write addresses for peta/exabytes of memory for exaflops of computing power.

The Blue Brain project might interest you in seeing a model of how the brain works (sort of)

lrh9

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:01:10 pm »

Years back the Japanese were experimenting with 3 dimensional "stacking" of data on various electronic and magnetic storage media.

Even better happened in the 1970's...Bubble Memory. Quite fast for it's time but not able to compete with falling drive media prices.

Look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_memory

Wow. That's something I have trouble wrapping my head around. Sounds interesting though. Of course, I'm always interested in practical applications of technologies. I wish there were some hard numbers on the technology though. For one thing I wish I could compare it's durability to that of solid state disks. I also wonder how resistant this bubble memory would be to electromagnetic disturbances and weaponry.

Art

• Colossus
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 12:44:21 pm »

irh9 said,
"I also wonder how resistant this bubble memory would be to electromagnetic disturbances and weaponry."
I believe that proper shielding can accomplish wonders in many areas.

Interesting question though. INow I'm wondering whether a Faraday cage would protect such memory and how it would react to EMP. Not that I want to find out but it would be interesting to know.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 03:25:11 pm »
Just while you touch on Solid State Drives - does anyone think these are worth buying at this current time ?

lrh9

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 11:17:20 pm »
Just while you touch on Solid State Drives - does anyone think these are worth buying at this current time ?

The only way I could see any justification for a mainstream consumer to purchase one is a small one for a high performance gaming machine or for a laptop if they are working in especially rugged or volatile environments.

Art

• Colossus
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 03:22:25 am »
Freddy,

The flash / thumb drives are MUCH larger in capacity than drives from 5-7 years ago and only a fraction of the cost.

While they do not hold as much as current ones, they can hold an entire OS quite easily let alone an application or two.
 I bought a 4 gig drive for $10 several months ago. 15 years ago a 500 MEG drive would have cost about $500.00!!

Now,  terabyte drives are common place and quite inexpensive. Of course code isn't written as tightly as it was in the 80's when memory / space was at a premium! Sloppy coding also promotes more program errors but that's another topic.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 08:00:29 pm by Art »

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 02:01:56 pm »
Hmm, ok thank you both for your thoughts.  It's possibly best to wait a year or two then for the prices come down - my PC is perfectly sufficient for everything I throw at it for the moment anyway, so it seems wise to wait.

one

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 07:18:31 am »
In the magazine I have, it has a release from a SarpeshKar, who adapted one of his audio chips into a biologically inspired RF cochlea chip, which enables applications for cognitive and ultra High-Band radios of the future.
     The chip which was unveiled in June, will allow radios to simultaneously listen to a wide range of frequencies-spanning all radio and television broadcasts, along with cell phone traffic-the way that ears listen to and analyze many sound frequencies at once. ( I Told ya N.O.R.A. was real ;D)
Boahen has a lot of interesting things and the link in my previous post should take you to the work.

AWWW I just wrote this in the wrons place, Maviarab, Moderators, can you move this to where it should be ,,or not, I guess Matt_ just was lucky and got a nice hello thread , LOL!!

Repost of link
http://aidreams.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3203.0

Have a nice read,
J.

Moved as requested...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:29:54 pm by Freddy »

AI controlled F-16, for real!
by frankinstien (AI News )
May 04, 2024, 01:04:11 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am

Users Online

309 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 403. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles