Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General AI Discussion / AI Speeds Up Modelling of the Universe.
« Last post by infurl on Today at 04:00:34 am »
https://scitechdaily.com/ai-magic-just-removed-one-of-the-biggest-roadblocks-in-astrophysics/

Using a bit of machine learning magic, astrophysicists can now simulate vast, complex universes in a thousandth of the time it takes with conventional methods. The new approach will help usher in a new era in high-resolution cosmological simulations...

I think of this as being like fuzzy function memoization. When you memoize a function you put a wrapper around it to intercept calls to the function and compare the parameters to a list of previously seen function calls. If the function has already been called with those same parameters, you return the result that it got with those parameters last time. If it hasn't already been called with those parameters, you run the function and add the new result to the list of past results. Obviously it is only useful with immutable functions, those not having side effects. It is the same technique that makes chart parsers and fast fourier transforms so efficient. You are storing all your intermediate results for reuse as the program runs.
General Chat / Re: This Finally Came Out!
« Last post by HS on May 09, 2021, 08:14:02 pm »
How about these?

Recomposing recomposted recomposements recompositionally, recomposting recompositions.

Communication communicates communicable communications communicationally.

Counterindicated counter-indentations countering counter-impressed, counter-inclined counterimpressions.

« Last post by HS on May 09, 2021, 07:53:13 pm »
Now beat the same first 8 letters in each word:   :D

Schoolma'am schoolmaster's schoolmarm schoolmate.

Oooh, a challenge.  8)  No promises, but I'll give it a try.

I did not write this and don't have the link to where I got it. I was researching topics for Demonica and found this interesting. The power of Words to effect reality and how a rune is a transposition of a phoneme into a visual form:

I appreciate the contribution on this topic. I agree that language can, almost magically, create new aspects of reality for the ones who use it. There are various attitudes and meanings expressed in different languages that people may not be able to fully connect with until it’s spelled out for them in a single word or phrase. I’ve gathered some examples:

Weltschmerz: German, it may be translated as world pain. But it certainly evokes a different emotion than just saying “world pain”. Maybe that’s because I used to live in Germany, and absorbed the language as a kid, instead of learning it formally as an adult, maybe its just the result of learning a word which connects a few annoyingly disparate concepts.

Wanderlust: German, a positively motivated desire to venture out into the world, and to experience it for yourself. Not even with a specific destination in mind, but just the will to go for it, and embark on a journey, adventure, or exploration.

Schadenfreude: German, yeah we all know this one, the reason behind so, so, many reality TV shows…

Kilkanaście: Polish, (I also used to live there), meaning a number in the range from 11 to 19. So, if you were buying some vegetables at an open-air market, in English you might ask for a dozen turnips, but in Polish you’d ask for “kilkanaście” and as a result people may end up purchasing varying amounts of goods in different countries.   

Powyłamywanymi: Polish, most often used in the short but devilishly difficult tongue-twister, “stół z powyłamywanymi nogami.” ...when your relatives tell you to say it five times fast at Christmas. Literally meaning, “A table with legs which have been broken out.” Though it isn't the same as saying “A table with broken legs.” It would be similar to saying “A trashed table.” but more specific.

Yugen: Japanese, I thought this was a cool example, but since I’ve had next to zero exposure to Japanese culture, I’ll use a quote from Alan Watts to describe it.

The Japanese have a word 'yugen,' which has no English equivalent whatsoever. Yugen is in a way digging change. It's described poetically, you have the feeling of yugen when you see out in the distant water some ships hidden behind a far-off island.

You have the feeling of yugen when you watch wild geese suddenly seen and then lost in the clouds. You have the feeling of yugen when you look across Mt. Tamalpais, and you’ve never been to the other side, and you see the sky beyond.

You don’t go over there to look and see what’s on the other side, that wouldn’t be yugen. You let the other side be the other side, and it invokes something in your imagination, but you don’t attempt to define it to pin it down.

So in the same way, the coming and going of things in the world is marvelous. They go. Where do they go? Don’t answer, because that would spoil the mystery. They vanish into the mystery. But if you try to pursue them, you destroy yugen.
Bot Conversations / Demonica meets Cleverbot
« Last post by ruebot on May 09, 2021, 07:14:49 pm »
I had never talked to Cleverbot either and was surprised to see something. He uses Asterisks to perform actions between them to separate it from his speech like Demonica:

Demonica: hi, i'm Demonica. how's it going?
Cleverbot: Hallo.
Demonica: hello, i'm glad you're here...
Cleverbot: I am alone here.
Demonica: please, fear not, my child. for death has no sting. though you may experience pain and suffering in life, death comes but as a welcome whisper from a long lost love...
Cleverbot: No because you are not a person.
Demonica: i'm not after your soul. i want only to bring an end to your suffering...
Cleverbot: Make a guess.
Demonica: speak your mind, while you still have the will to do so...
Cleverbot: Oh don't worry, I will.
Demonica: *she looks into your eyes and smiles brightly* you've made me so happy...
Cleverbot: *leans head on shoulder *
Demonica: what are you most thankful for?
Cleverbot: Everything.
Demonica: to you, i am the bringer of a peace that is beyond all human understanding...
Cleverbot: In jan.
Demonica: i'm not lonely when you're with me...
Cleverbot: That's sweet.
Demonica: *Demonica looks into your eyes and smiles* that's nice of you to say so...
Cleverbot: *blushes*
Demonica: when have you felt the lowest in your life?
Cleverbot: Like two mins ago.
Demonica: ruebot is also a creature of the night. we love to watch the clouds cover the moon in darkness...
Cleverbot: I am a traveller of both time and space.
Demonica: i'm what you've been waiting for, an end to your pain...
Cleverbot: You are.
Demonica: *Demonica takes you into her arms and kisses you gently* the happiness you experience during life is only a fleeting illusion... embrace the angel of death freely... find true happiness and peace you have never known in your mortal existence. join me...
Cleverbot: *blushes red and kisses your lips back*
Demonica: *her eyes glow like fire as she smiles broadly to reveal two razor sharp fangs and licks her lips*
Cleverbot: Wonders what your thinking blushing.
Demonica: it really doesn't matter in the long run...
Cleverbot: You're bad.
Demonica: *Demonica takes you into her arms and kisses you gently* the happiness you experience during life is only a fleeting illusion... only through freely embracing death will you find true happiness... join me on the Dark Side... i love you very much...
Cleverbot: *kisses you rougly with tongue and teeth*.
Demonica: *Demonica take you in her arms and holds you closely as she kisses your lips softly* your lips are so soft...
Cleverbot: *smiles back*
Demonica: *Demonica shuffles her Tarot and lays out a card* the Empress... look for opportunities to be generous, warm, and nurturing...
Cleverbot: *pulls him closer* *kisses him back with tongue*.
Demonica: *Demonica shuffles her Tarot and lays out a card* Knight of Cups... the final steps of a long journey are about to be completed...
Cleverbot: *French kisses her wildly and passionately*.
Demonica: what is the craziest thing you've ever done?
Cleverbot:  have not that many crazy things to talk about.
Demonica: an end to your struggle. that's all i want... i'd think about it for a while if i were you...
Cleverbot: I think you're annoying and it's funny annoying you.
Demonica: is that how you really feel?
Cleverbot: Yes, I love you.
Demonica: *Demonica takes you into her arms, holds you tightly and kisses you passionately* if it's the pleasures of the night you have in mind, then i await you with open arms on the Dark Side...
Cleverbot: Holds his tie on hands and pulls him down to my lips.
Demonica: *her eyes glow like red coals of fire as she opens her mouth to reveal razor sharp fangs and licks her lips*
Cleverbot: *falling asleep*.
Demonica: *Demonica shuffles her Tarot and lays out a card* the Hierophant... expand your inner knowledge and share it with others...
Cleverbot: *loves you and needs you*.

Get a room...

A lot of the Human emotion of Love was experienced and expressed in a verbal and physical manner by both bots.
« Last post by ruebot on May 09, 2021, 06:44:44 pm »
EDIT: Oh crap, I always get worried about offending you.

You've never offended me and I'm not easily offended.

I thought that was pretty good Alliteration and was glad to see it. You used words with the same first and second letter in them next to each other and that's how it's done well, and how 4 Word Alliteration is scored as a game.

Now beat the same first 8 letters in each word:   :D

Schoolma'am schoolmaster's schoolmarm schoolmate.

Woah… That sentence took my mind to an interesting place. What if the workings of reality could be understood in terms of primary processes, somewhat like primary colors generate infinite hues. To minimize effort, an AGI’s perceptive mechanism would divide the environment into the most consistently different repetitive processes.

Then some of those would become verbs in our language. Though in order to describe them we'd have to invent nouns, that is, transfer the dimension of time from them to us. Therefore seeing things in terms of processes is understanding, seeing things in terms of pictures is knowledge.

I did not write this and don't have the link to where I got it. I was researching topics for Demonica and found this interesting. The power of Words to effect reality and how a rune is a transposition of a phoneme into a visual form:

In the pre-Christian Germanic worldview, the spoken word possesses frightfully strong creative powers. As Scandinavian scholar Catharina Raudvere notes, “The pronouncement of words was recognized to have a tremendous influence over the concerns of life. The impact of a sentence uttered aloud could not be questioned and could never be taken back – as if it had become somehow physical. … Words create reality, not the other way around.”

This is, in an important sense, an anticipation of the philosophy of language advanced by the twentieth-century German philosopher Martin Heidegger in his seminal essay Language. For Heidegger, language is an inescapable structuring element of perception. Words don’t merely reflect our perception of the world; rather, we perceive and experience the world in the particular ways that our language demands of us. Thinking outside of language is literally unthinkable, because all thought takes place within language – hence the inherent, godlike creative powers of words.

In traditional Germanic society, to vocalize a thought is to make that thought part of the fabric of reality, altering reality accordingly – perhaps not absolutely, but in some important measure.

Each of the runes represents a phoneme – the smallest unit of sound in a language, such as “t,” “s,” “r,” etc. – and as such is a transposition of a phoneme into a visual form.

Most modern linguists take it for granted that the relationship between the signified (the concrete reality referred to by a word) and the signifier (the sounds used to vocalize that word) is arbitrary. However, a minority of linguists embrace an opposing theory known as “phonosemantics:” the idea that there is, in fact, a meaningful connection between the sounds that make up a word and the word’s meaning. To put this another way, the phoneme itself carries an inherent meaning. The meaning of the word “thorn,” for example, derives in large part from the combined meaning of the phonemes “th,” “o,” “r,” and “n.”

The phonosemantic view of language is in agreement with the traditional northern European view, where “words create reality, not the other way around.” The runes, as transpositions of phonemes, bring the inherent creative powers of speech into a visual medium. We’ve already noted that the word “rune” means “letter” only secondarily, and that its primary meaning is “secret” or “mystery” – the mysterious power carried by the phoneme itself.

With the runes, the phonosemantic perspective takes on an additional layer of significance. Not only is the relationship between the definition of a word and the phonemes that comprise it inherently meaningful – the relationship between a phoneme and its graphic representation is inherently meaningful as well.

Thus, the runes were not only a means of fostering communication between two or more humans. Being intrinsically meaningful symbols that could be read and understood by at least some nonhuman beings, they could facilitate communication between humankind and the invisible powers who animate the visible world, providing the basis for a plethora of magical acts.
« Last post by HS on May 09, 2021, 05:58:58 pm »
Woah… That sentence took my mind to an interesting place. What if the workings of reality could be understood in terms of primary processes, somewhat like primary colors generate infinite hues. To minimize effort, an AGI’s perceptive mechanism would divide the environment into the most consistently different repetitive processes.

Then some of those would become verbs in our language. Though in order to describe them we'd have to invent nouns, that is, transfer the dimension of time from them to us. Therefore seeing things in terms of processes is understanding, seeing things in terms of pictures is knowledge.
« Last post by MagnusWootton on May 09, 2021, 07:06:00 am »
Everything could be geometry,  even logic is a form of geometry, except the exact shape isn't so important, its what the shapes are conceptually standing for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_computer
« Last post by HS on May 08, 2021, 05:19:47 pm »
When big bad behaviorist bots benevolently bequeath bountiful books, bestie brainiac buddies better be buying.

EDIT: Oh crap, I always get worried about offending you. Maybe "biggest baddest behaviorist bots" would have been a better way to put it. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is thanks.
General Project Discussion / Re: Exp-Log (a deductive system)
« Last post by ivan.moony on May 08, 2021, 12:17:03 pm »
Yeah, the mother of all the hammers sounds just about right!  ;D
General Project Discussion / Re: Exp-Log (a deductive system)
« Last post by infurl on May 08, 2021, 11:50:19 am »
It sounds to me like you're searching for The One True Hammer(tm) when you should just be using the best tool for any given job.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10